What is a bill of sale?A vehicle bill of sale is a legal document given by the seller to the buyer. It reports that on a specific date, at a specific locality and for a particular sum of money the seller sold to the purchaser a specific vehicle of which he had lawful possession. It is a written instrument proving that the transaction was successful and that both parties were able to understand each other clearly.
What’s in a Bill of Sale?The bill of sale will generally include the following information about the transaction:
- A description of the vehicle and its vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Any warranty that may have been agreed upon.
- The final sale price of the vehicle.
- The name of the buyer and the seller.
- The state in which the vehicle was sold.
- The buyer should apply for a new title in his name, take the Certificate of Ownership (Title) and this Bill of Sale to the local vehicle licensing office and pay the required fees and taxes.
- The seller should submit a completed Report of Sale which releases his liability from the vehicle. He can report the sale by filling out the Report of Sale section at the back of the title. He can also go in person at any vehicle licensing office or process it online.
Where can I get a Bill of Sale?Download a free vehicle bill of sale here: Free Vehicle Bill Of Sale